Most organizations, whether large, medium or small, for – profit, or, not – for – profit, turn their focus, to specific events, to hopefully, serve some specific, or a number of necessities, needs, and priorities! However, unfortunately, in a large percentage of cases, these wonderful intentions, do not, by themselves, bring about the desired result! After, over four decades of involvement in many aspects of leadership, from identifying and qualifying potential leaders, to training, developing, and consulting to thousands of actual, and/ or, potential leaders, as well as serving, personally, as a leader, I realize, how essential quality events are any group! In addition, having organized, coordinated, negotiated – for, planned, and overseen hundreds of events, I feel, there are 6 steps, true leaders use, for better, more effective, successful events. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss these.
1. Strategy, and purpose: Before begin any event planning, be certain, you fully understand, and appreciate, that specific event’s purpose! Is it educational, organization, a fund – raiser, or, some combination? How might you create a meaningful strategy, to address these needs, and priorities? One’s strategic plan, must consider various factors, from budgeting, marketing, programing, etc., to the best way, to effectively negotiate with your selected, desired venue!
2. Budget: Far too often, leaders don’t consider budgetary realities, until, after, they have already negotiated, etc! How does that make sense? The best way, to use a budget, effectively and efficiently, is to use the budget, as a significant planning tool, and, when, negotiating, a needed guide, to better understand, and articulate, what you seek, from the onset!
3. Develop your team: Since, no one, can create, and produce the best event, by himself, it’s smart to strategically, determine, what you are looking for, in your inner circle/ team! Identify the qualities, experience, areas of expertise, and other intangibles, needed, and find the right combination of people, to join you, with quality teamwork!
4. Create agenda: A well – considered, agenda, is important, for many reasons! Initially, it helps get the best, bang – for – the – buck! Then, create a program, which clearly shows, both, actual, as well as potential value! Tweak, as necessary, and, focus on creating the finest event, possible!
5. Action plan: Strategic planning must lead, to a well – formulated, action plan! This document must show who, does what, and why! Create a table of responsibility, and clearly articulate your rationale!
6. Implement: All the planning, will not achieve your objectives, without taking well – considered, timely action, and implementing the finest, possible, plan!
There are many qualities, and skills, needed, by true leaders. We must realize, events are a significant component, and aspect. Are you, up to the task, commitment, and discipline?